Connect with ProQuest
Serials Solutions Releases its Enhanced Ulrichsweb Interface to Make Comprehensive Serials Information Easily Accessible
Seattle – Dec. 20, 2010 – Serials Solutions, a business unit of ProQuest LLC, today announced the availability of its enhanced interface for its Ulrichsweb™ global serials intelligence service. Ulrichsweb is an integrated, continuously updated service that enables librarians and patrons to discover, explore, annotate and reuse information about periodicals and the companies that publish and provide them. The new, enhanced interface enables librarians and users to take advantage of the ways Ulrichsweb has grown and evolved to make its depth and breadth of knowledge more accessible.
Ulrichsweb helps librarians find, evaluate and share the bibliographic and provider information they need for effective collection building and management. Patrons use Ulrichsweb to quickly identify serials sources, verify the quality of those resources, and e-mail or save research notes without needing to learn a complex interface.
“This is the first major platform change for the delivery of comprehensive serials information since Ulrichsweb went online in 1999,” explains Yvette Diven, publisher and senior product manager with Serials Solutions. “We have designed many new features to significantly improve search and browsing capabilities, added export formats and sharing tools, and made the administrative functionality of Ulrichsweb more user-friendly. The bottom line is that these new features will make it easier for librarians and patrons to discover, explore and share information about serials resources available in their libraries and elsewhere.”
Serials Solutions continues to develop Ulrichsweb as a comprehensive and content-neutral source, providing unbiased information about electronic, print and microform serials from a wide range of commercial, scholarly, Open Access and other publishers across all subject areas and languages.
The following list of enhancements and features are included in the new Ulrichsweb interface:
- Expanded international coverage adding details for hundreds of non-English full-text and indexing databases and sources, and tens of thousands of new serials titles.
- Alignment with Serials Solutions® KnowledgeWorks enabling a richer, integrated knowledgebase of information about print and e-journals and their providers.
- More than 100,000 Provider Authority Records, from Serials Solutions’ expanded Publisher Outreach Program, providing users with in-depth information about publishers and aggregators.
- New search capabilities creating more accurate and relevant search results.
- Faceted results browsing allowing users to filter by type of serial, peer-reviewed status or other qualifying information to improve serials discoverability.
- New data export formats and research sharing tools allowing users to save and send search results in a format that is most convenient for them.
- User-specific personalization including interface language localization and personal alerts and lists, enabling users to customize the Ulrich’s search experience to meet their individual needs.
- New usage reporting options and a simpler administrative console allowing librarians to administer Ulrichsweb through the Serials Solutions Client Center alongside their other Serials Solutions services.
- A new API with XML and JSON options allowing librarians and technical staff to easily integrate Ulrich’s data into their library’s web pages and discovery services in order to provide researchers and staff with reliable, continuously updated information about electronic and print serials.
- Expanded linking partnerships and OpenURL awareness letting libraries enable interaction between Ulrichsweb and other serials-related resources including their OPACs and discovery services.
“Serials Solutions is committed to being the best services partner for improving the search experience at libraries around the world. We take to heart every request and suggestion for ways to improve our services to benefit our customers and users,” said Stan Sorensen, vice president, product management and marketing with Serials Solutions. “The new Ulrichsweb interface simplifies serials discovery and management, and offers more intuitive, user-friendly features that save researchers and librarians time and stress when searching for relevant, qualified sources and information.”
About Serials Solutions
Serials Solutions® is the global leader in E-Resource Access and Management Services (ERAMS) that serves more than 3,000 libraries worldwide. Our comprehensive suite of hosted discovery and management services helps improve access to and use of collections, eases librarian workloads and ultimately reduces operating costs. Solutions include: the Summon™ web-scale discovery service, a world-class solution that provides instant access to the full breadth of the library’s collection through a single search; AquaBrowser®, a discovery layer that makes navigation more accessible; 360, the only integrated e-resource access and management solution; KnowledgeWorks, the authoritative e-resource knowledgebase and foundation for Serials Solutions 360; and Ulrich’s™, the world’s most authoritative source of bibliographic and publisher information for serials and the most comprehensive source of print and electronic serials data available.
Serials Solutions is a business unit of ProQuest LLC.