Connect with ProQuest
ProQuest Named a ‘Preferred Supplier’ by Jisc
CAMBRIDGE, UK, January 15, 2019 – ProQuest has been designated as a preferred supplier in Jisc’s digital archival collections group purchasing scheme, giving academic institutions improved access to primary-source databases. Following the success of a two-year pilot ProQuest helped shape and participated in, the purchasing program has been extended for an additional four years.
In 2017, Jisc – a U.K. member organization that provides digital technology and digital resources for higher education – kicked off a group purchasing pilot for digital archival collections. The pilot built on the power of collective purchasing with the goal of lowering customer costs.
After the pilot’s conclusion, Jisc accepted ProQuest as a preferred supplier through 2022. Members will continue to acquire ProQuest databases using the same purchasing model used in the pilot. Currently, 20 ProQuest databases are available through the program, and offerings will be re-evaluated each year as members’ needs change.
“We’re pleased to transition from a pilot phase to a yearly service for the digital archival collections group purchasing scheme,” said Karen Colbron, Digital Content Manager, Jisc. “The expanded products and subject areas available offer Jisc members the opportunity to acquire content at discounted rates according to the Jisc buying bands.”
“Feedback from faculty shows primary sources are critical to academic success,” said Susan Bokern, Vice President of ProQuest Information Solutions. “They’ve become an important complement to traditional resources used in academic institutions, and the Jisc pilot further demonstrated their popularity in U.K. higher education. ProQuest is proud to continue our partnership with Jisc to help make these digital curated collections accessible so researchers can achieve their research, teaching and learning outcomes.”
ProQuest databases were selected for the Jisc purchasing scheme based on in-depth curriculum analyses conducted for the U.K. higher education community, as well as consideration for the ProQuest content Jisc members have already invested in. They include:
- British History: House of Lords Parliamentary Papers, 1800-1910; Public Petitions to Parliament, 1833-1918; British Periodicals, Collection 3; British Periodicals, Collection 4; Colonial State Papers
- U.S. and International History: American Periodicals Series; Historical Newspapers™: Times of India, 1838-2008; Historical Newspapers™: South China Morning Post, 1903-1998; History Vault™: Slavery and the Law; Women’s Magazine Archive 2
- Social Movements: History Vault™: Black Freedom Struggle in the 20th Century: Federal Government Records; History Vault™: Struggle for Women’s Rights, 1880-1990: Organizational Records; Women and Social Movements, Modern Empires Since 1820
- Social Sciences: Counseling and Therapy in Video: Volume IV; Ethnographic Video Online Vol. 1 and 2: Foundational Films (ANTP-PK); Human Rights Studies Online
- Performing Arts, Music and Film: Music Online: Classical Scores Library, Volume II; American Film Scripts: Film Scripts Online Volume I; Dance Online: Dance in Video Volume II; Drama Texts Collection
About Jisc (https://www.jisc.ac.uk/)
Jisc is a not-for-profit providing the U.K.’s national research and education network, Janet, and technology solutions for its members – colleges, universities and research centres. It is funded by the U.K. higher and further education and research funding bodies and member institutions.
Jisc does three main things for its members:
- Operates and develops the super-fast and secure Janet Network and its built-in cyber security protection
- Helps save time and money by negotiating sector-wide deals with IT vendors and commercial publishers
- Provides trusted advice and practical assistance on digital technology
- Jisc’s vision is for the U.K. to be the most digitally advanced education and research nation in the world
About ProQuest (https://www.proquest.com)
ProQuest is committed to supporting the important work happening in the world’s research and learning communities. The company curates content that matters to the advancement of knowledge, assembling an archive of billions of vetted, indexed documents. It simplifies workflows so that people and institutions use time effectively. And because ProQuest connects information communities, complex networks of systems and processes work together efficiently. With ProQuest, finding answers and deriving insights is straightforward and leads to extraordinary outcomes.
ProQuest and its companies and affiliates – Ex Libris, Alexander Street, Bowker – stand for better research, better learning, better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world.